Are you ready to raise or fold ONLY preflop?
This is my 3-day challenge to you. You got the guts to play all-aggression preflop?
No limping or calling allowed.
Watch this episode’s video on the Smart Poker Study YouTube Channel:
Video coming soon!
Or, listen to the podcast as you follow along with details and screenshots below:
Episode coming soon!
Raise or Fold ONLY Challenge Details
You’re going to play your next 3 sessions with NO PREFLOP CALLING:
- NO CALLING in any position.
- No limping – your hand/position/opponents don’t matter.
- No calling open-raises – 3bet or fold versus open-raises only.
- No defending blinds with a call – yep, you have to fold or 3bet with your set-mining hands and suited connectors.
- No open-raise/call 3bet – even if you think you’re ahead with your 99 vs his A5s… fold or get aggressive with a 4bet!
- No 3bet/call 4bet – before 3bet bluffing, know he can fold. Before 3betting for value, know what you’ll do if he 4bets (so put ’em on a range).
- ONE exception to the rule (there’s always one): you can call their all-in shove (you can’t reraise, but you don’t want to fold).
This challenge is inspired by podcast episode #391: Getting to Poker’s Fantasy Land. This episode was about getting as much Bread & Butter as possible.
Why take on this challenge?
This ensures that you’re the preflop aggressor with the opportunity to cbet because… aggression wins in poker!
If you want to play hands, you’ll be forced to make an aggressive play instead of calling. This aggression practice will make you stronger player. Plus, it will force you to analyze your opponent to gauge whether a re-raise is a +EV play.
- You would normally call with 33 in the BB… is this worth 3betting instead?
- You would sometimes call with AQs in the CO… not this time. It’s 3bet or fold only, so know who you’re 3betting and gauge how they’ll respond.
You’re going to be the one making preflop steals. Not facing them and not calling with a weaker range just to see the flop.
You won’t face any cbets because you’re NOT calling preflop.
Don’t Worry, Calling is Still on the Table… Post-flop
You’ll probably face some donk bets, so you’ll still have the opportunity to call post-flop (when folding or raising isn’t better).
You’ll face raises and check-raises versus your cbets, so be prepared. When you face raise, your options are to fold, call or raise. Which is most +EV?
There might be some floats and probes coming your way. So, plan for them should you choose to check instead of cbet.
It’s Just 3 Sessions
Check out your results afterwards. It might be a small sample size, but you can still compare it to prior results to see how raise or fold only works for you.
See how you enjoy NOT calling (in the blinds, any position). For me, I LOVE to NOT be the caller. Folding is liberating.
Is poker easier? There’s a good chance by folding more, you’ll remove yourself from lots of tough spots. Especially the “out of position, calling in the blinds” spots and multiway spots.
Did you have more fun over these 3 sessions?
Was it a more interesting form of poker than normal? Were you forced to play the player and assess their tendencies more often (because calling often requires little thought)?
Do you like being the aggressor more often?
A Full Month of Raise or Fold ONLY
I’m challenging you to just 3 days, but I’m doing this challenge for an entire month! All of June 2022 will see me making NO CALLS (unless of course, they shove and I don’t want to fold).
On July 6th in episode #398, I’ll report back to you my results. I’m planning on putting in 5K-7K hands, so it should be an interesting test of this preflop style of play.
4-Day Test of Raise or Fold ONLY
I did this as a test for 4 days, playing 1,063 hands of this style. Here are my results versus the prior 1,023 hands played:
Good luck to those who take on this challenge!